Saturday, June 11, 2011

Jennifer Jajeh's I Heart Hamas in Hollywood

It can't be easy being a Palestinian-American in Hollywood -- or anywhere else in America.

Writer/actress Jennifer Jajeh, a Christian Palestinian-American, was raised in the U.S., and has visited Israel and the Occupied Territories.

She now courageously places her difficult identity into the spotlight, and mines her life experiences, for a one-woman show: I Heart Hamas: And Other Things I'm Afraid to Tell You.



Despite the provocative title, I Heart Hamas is getting rave reviews in major American cities.

This play, along with films like Miral, indicates that a significant number of Americans -- Jews and gentiles -- are ready to see Palestinians as actual human beings.

True, Jajeh is a Christian Palestinian-American. Nevertheless, I'm sure the Islamophobic bigots can make an exception in Jajeh's case (seeing as she's still an Arab) and hate her anyway.

No comments: