Friday, November 21, 2008

Wayne Allyn Root's New York Times Pofile

Pat Jordon of The New York Times Magazine provides an interesting profile on Wayne Allyn Root, dated January 21, 2007.

Among other gems:

* "Wayne's house was a shrine to Wayne. The walls were adorned with posters of him, photographs of him, newspaper and magazine articles about him. There were copies of his books, 'Millionaire Republican' and 'The King of Vegas’ Guide to Gambling,' everywhere."

* "Wayne appeared, smiling, a small man dressed in a black shirt, black slacks and black dress shoes. Johnny Cash crossed with Liberace."

* "According to Wayne, when fans bet they form an emotional relationship with the men and the team they’re betting on. That's where they get their pleasure. The money won, or lost, is only incidental. That's the way Wayne likes it. 'For me, it’s all about the money,' he said. 'I live for it.'"

* "I asked him if he ever felt guilty about making his money by gambling. He looked up at me as if I had used a word in a language he didn't understand and said: "Guilt? I don’t have any guilt. I think zero about why things are. I just accept what they are and find a way to take advantage of them.'"

* "When the check came, I reached for it. Wayne made a feeble pass at it, too. 'I was gonna pay,' he said, but he didn't."

No comments: