Friday, July 31, 2026

Where Are the Antiwar Protests?

According the The Economist’s headline [July 19, 2026]: The Iran war is America’s least popular since polls began.

I believe that. So where are the antiwar protests in the United States? I remember plenty of antiwar protests during the Iraq War. I attended several of them myself. But I don't see any sizeable antiwar protests today in the U.S. The New York Times headline [June 22, 2026] says it all: Small Protests Against the U.S. Attack in Iran Sprouted Up Over the Weekend.

I can think of two reasons for this:

1. As in the old Soviet Union, Americans have become disheartened and cynical. They've lost faith in the system. They no longer believe that we live in a responsive democracy. They doubt that expressing their opinions can influence anything.

Trump said “America First!” and “No more Mideast wars!” Instead, we got Israel First and the Iran War. As for Democrats, Biden essentially supplied Israel's Gaza genocide, against the wishes of most rank & file Democrats. Both Republicans and Democrats have come to realize that their leaders will do as they will, despite promises and pretty words to the party rank & file.

2. The Deep State supports the Iran War, which means no Deep State funding for any antiwar protests.

The Deep State funded the 2020 BLM anti-Trump riots. But after his first term, Trump surrendered to the Deep State, as is evidenced by his Iran War. And so there were no electoral "glitches," and no anti-Trump protests, in November 2024. Trump was allowed to win peacefully.

You can be sure the Deep State supports a policy, or a war, or a candidate, when there are no expensive protests against such.

Those are the two reasons that come to mind when I question why America’s most unpopular war has failed to generate any significant antiwar protests in the U.S. Perhaps you have another theory?

==========================

No comments: